Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Maria Sabina, "I Am the Woman of the Principal Fountain," trans. Henry Munn

I am the woman of the principal fountain
I am the woman of the fountain of the sea 

I am a river woman
the woman of the flowing water
a woman who examines and searches
a woman with hands and measure
a woman mistress of measure

I am a saint woman
a spirit woman
I am a woman of clarity
a woman of the day
a clean woman
a ready woman
a woman of clarity
a woman of the day
because I am a woman who lightnings
a woman who thunders
a woman who shouts
a woman who whistles

Morning Star woman
Southern Cross woman
Constellation of the Sandal woman, it says
Hook constellation woman, it says
that is your clock, it says
that is your book, it says
I am the little woman of the ancient fountain, it says
I am the little woman of the sacred fountain, it says

hummingbird woman, it says
woman who has sprouted wings, it says

thus do I descend primordial
thus do I descend significant
I descend with tenderness
I descend with the dew
your book, my Father, it says
your book, my Father, it says
clown woman beneath the water, it says
clown woman beneath the sea, it says
because I am the child of Christ
the child of Mary, it says

I am a midwife woman, it says
I am a woman who raises the sick, it says
it is certain and true
I am a woman who looks over the body and examines it
I am a woman of music, it says
I am a drum woman, it says

I am a saint woman, it says
a spirit woman, it says
a woman of good words, of good breath and good saliva, it says

I am the woman who questions and sees, it says
the tracks of his hands and of his feet, it says
the echo of the path
resonant path
path of the dew
path of freshness
path of clarity
the path of goodness
the path of the day
I am she who examines the tracks of the feet and the hands, it says

I begin in the depths of the water
I begin where the beginning sounds and where sounds the important

woman who goes through the water, it says
woman who travels on the heights
woman who resounds with grandiloquence
woman who resounds with purity
woman of superior reason, it says

I am a woman of letters, it says
I am a book woman, it says
nobody can close my book, it says
nobody can take my book away from me, it says
my book encountered beneath the water, it says
my book of prayers

I am a woman and a mother, it says
a mother woman beneath the water, it says
a woman of good words, it says
a woman of music, it says
a wise diviner woman

I am a lagoon woman, it says
I am a ladder woman, it says
I am the Morning Star woman, it says
I am a woman comet, it says
I am the woman who goes through the water, it says
I am the woman who goes through the sea, it says

I am the woman who examines, the woman who sees

I am a woman of music, it says
I am a drum woman, it says
I am a woman violinist

I bring my light, it says
I bring my lightning bolts, it says
and I bring my whirlwind of colors
from where the Father came, from where the Mother
where the clean book, the good book is
I'm going to show you where the Moon comes out,
where the Morning Star comes out, where our Father, God the Sun, comes out

I am a woman wise in words beneath the water, it says
I am a woman wise in words beneath the sea, it says

I am not afraid, it says
I am going to demonstrate my courage, it says
Benito Juarez
Mother Guadalupe, it says
Mother Magdalene
Holy Father
I am a woman general, it says
I am a woman sergeant, it says
I am a woman corporal, it says
I am a woman commander, it says
I am a lawyer woman, it says
I am a woman warden, it says
it all comes from the primordial fountain, it says
from the fountain of significance, it says
I go up to heaven, it says
beneath the gaze of your glory, it says
where is your paper and your book, it says

I am a primordial eagle woman
a celestial eagle woman, it says

I am a fresh flower woman, it says
I am an important flower woman, it says
I stand up my reed, it says
my reed beneath the sea, it says
my hummingbird, it says
there are thirteen of them
beneath the water, beneath the sea, it says
I am a fragrant woman, it says

with words we live and grow

I am a mother woman, it says
a saint woman, it says
a doctor woman, it says

I am the Moon woman, it says
I am the Morning Star woman, it says
I am the Southern Cross woman, it says

I am the woman who observes, it says
I am the woman who examines, it says
I am a music woman, it says
a woman violinist, it says
a drum woman, it says
Holy Father, it says
I am the woman of the primordial fountain, it says

I go up to heaven where your ancient herb is, your celestial herb

No comments:

Post a Comment