Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Margaret Randall, "the coming together"


"I am dead, dead, dead! They cut out my heart in Stanleyville. They left my lungs in Leopoldsville. My eyes they gouged out in the mines of Katanga. And they blew my brains to bits in Kasai. They have taken my rivers, my mountains, my jungles, I have nothing left but the fragments of myself that come together in you, my brothers, in the four corners of the world."
                                          —Patrice Lumumba

in the coldest year
lumumba hot chessman hot castro hot
children of Birmingham
in the coldest year
a smashing of memories a total
out with it now
the time
         the magic of it
forced through the final mesh
of long walks

patience
the nervous flowered hats
thinking we must do something do
some-thing, the
streaming demonstrators
one voice
         the long echo
violence of non-violence
cruelty of artaud

mexico’s gas
and fire hose in san francisco’s
coldest year. in this cold year
we keep each other
warm
headline on headline on
headling adding to the fire
                                      screaming
madness hanging in the air, the
hand shakes
pictures, cut outs, impossible
collage, the

weight of it all as
the pages turn, burn,
green groundbeneath it
behind it
the bringing strong
                           silent
going through the front door
at last

in the coldest year
going through the front door and
the words of lumumba
                                ‘have nothing left
but the fragments of myself
that come together in you
my brothers
in the four corners of the world.’

10/2/64

No comments:

Post a Comment